Sometimes it’s hard to find the strength to move on when you feel like your feet are stuck in cement.
Today’s guest knows exactly how that feels and has made it her life mission to make that support more readily available for girls like her⎯ girls that need to feel a little less alone in their community.
Cara Belvin is the founder and CEO of the non-profit organization called empowerHER®, a place where girls can come to talk about the oftentimes uncomfortable topic of loss. The foundation was inspired by her mother, who was taken from her at age nine from breast cancer.
She created the mentor program because of the tremendous amount of gratitude she felt for people’s endless courage and compassion during her life, even from simple gestures of a friend giving her a Blow Pop every Mother’s Day.
Cara shares her thoughts on creating space for community, speaking your truth, and wants you to know that the loss you suffer is survivable. And she asks us to remember these three things: You are enough, your feelings are a gift, and it’s okay to ask for help.
Key Takeaways with Cara Belvin
- Extension of family and the network of supportive people around you.
- The importance of connection and knowing you’re not alone.
- Sharing the burden of your loss.
- The realization of everyone dealing with their own lens in the face of grief.
- Why do you need to know about other’s survival?
- Ask the hard questions and talk about your loss.
- The courage it takes to talk about your loss.
- How to find the strength of building community and seek your truth.
- It’s okay to feel like you can’t get out of bed.
- How can you get involved.
Cara Belvin Tweetables
- “Loss is survivable.” ⎯ Cara Belvin
- “You need to find and seek out people who help remind you that you’re not alone in your grief.” ⎯ Cara Belvin
- “I needed to talk to someone who said I see you and I hear you, You’re not alone in this.” ⎯ Cara Belvin
- “Joy is about gratitude. With gratitude, there is no anger.”⎯ Cara Belvin
Rate & Review
If you enjoyed today’s episode of The Joy In The Journey, hit the subscribe button on Apple Podcasts, Spotify , Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or wherever you listen, so future episodes are automatically downloaded directly to your device.
You can also help by providing an honest rating & review over on Apple Podcasts. Reviews go a long way in helping us build awareness so that we can impact even more people. THANK YOU!