My guest today is Jenny Kernan. She’s a mother of three beautiful children, with two of them at home and one of them in heaven.
When they were ready to start a family, she struggled to get pregnant, and decided to take the fertility route. After going through the difficult process of taking follicle stimulating hormone shots, and Clomid, it wasn’t long before she got the great news that she was pregnant, with twins!
Everything seemed to be going well until the ultrasound at 20 weeks when her doctor broke the news that one of her twins had a heart condition, which could be resolved with surgery after they were born. But at the 24 week mark, she went into labor and a week later went into delivery via C-section.
Jenny talks about how thankful she was to spend 49 days with her beautiful son, Dylan, before he joined God, and how she volunteers in remembrance of him and in honor of her children.
Both Jenny and her husband Pat are huge supporters of the foundation March of Dimes, and have raised over 1 million dollars for the NICU family research and support program. They won the Field’s Family Legacy Award for their years of volunteerism and continue to help increase the quality of life for babies in the NICU. I hope that their message will inspire others who have faced similar challenges in their lives.
Key Takeaways with Jenny Kernan
- The difficulties that come with fertility hormones.
- How to overcome the extreme complications that can come with pregnancy.
- The terrifying moments that come with having premature twins.
- The moment when you’re told your baby might not survive.
- The one thing you should never take for granted.
- How giving support to your community is a way that will honor your children.
- Learn how you can gain NICU support from March of Dimes.
- How talking about the child that you lost can feel good.
- How do you find your safe place after a trauma?
- Learn how to peel back the important parts of life to live life to the fullest.
Jenny Kernan Tweetables
- “Hearing your child’s name or seeing it in print really is wonderful, and it feels so good to hear and talk about them.”⎯ Jenny Kernan
- “1 in 10 babies are born prematurely in the States each year. People don’t realize how prolific it is in the US.”⎯ Jenny Kernan
If you enjoyed today’s episode of The Joy In The Journey, hit the subscribe button on Apple Podcasts, Spotify , Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or wherever you listen, so future episodes are automatically downloaded directly to your device.
You can also help by providing an honest rating & review over on Apple Podcasts. Reviews go a long way in helping us build awareness so that we can impact even more people. THANK YOU!