“Changing lives one baked good and one scoop at a time.”
One of the first milestones a new parent looks forward to is their child’s first word.
But when Jolene Boothe noticed that her sweet son, Darren, hadn’t started talking by the time he was 18 months old, she began to worry. By the age of two, they were still waiting. And if that wasn’t stressful enough, she was pregnant with her twin daughters by that point.
They say it takes a village to raise a child, and those words couldn’t be more accurate when you’re a parent with a special needs kiddo.
In today’s episode, Jolene shares how challenging those first few years of motherhood were. From dealing with the unknowns of what was wrong with her first child, finding testing and treatment for her son, the stress of bringing twins into the fold, and coming to terms with the fact that her life was going to be different.
Jolene talks about how she found beauty in her grief and knew that God wouldn’t give her more than she could handle. You’ll also hear how this experience has made her humble and grateful for Darren and all the families facing similar challenges.
But above all else, you’ll love all the great things she’s doing with her bakery, Sweet Darren’s, changing lives one baked good and one scoop at a time.
Key Takeaways with Jolene Boothe
- The stress of realizing Darren wasn’t talking while she was pregnant with twins.
- Comparing your struggles to another family’s struggles is natural but your challenges still matter..
- The peace from knowing the special needs of her child wasn’t life threatening, like a cancer diagnosis.
- How Jolene came to terms that her life was going to be different than she imagined
- How you can still find beauty in moments of grief.
- The positive impact that she is making with Sweet Darren’s baked goods.
Jolene Boothe Tweetables
- “Comparison is the thief of joy. We were all created to be our own unique people.” – Jolene Boothe
- “If you’ve never sat down and had a good cry, you should try it.” – Jolene Boothe
- “If we could just see the good in life the way they do, the world would be a beautiful place.” – Jolene Boothe
- Follow Sweet Darren’s on Facebook and YouTube
- Lurie’s Children’s Hospital
Rate & Review
If you enjoyed today’s episode of The Joy In The Journey, hit the subscribe button on Apple Podcasts, Spotify , Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or wherever you listen, so future episodes are automatically downloaded directly to your device.
You can also help by providing an honest rating & review over on Apple Podcasts. Reviews go a long way in helping us build awareness so that we can impact even more people. THANK YOU!